There is certainly one thing I am learning with my three-year-old daughter…”She believes in herself, believes in make-believe, and loves to pretend she is a fairy princess…creating her own feminine happiness in a world of all brothers.” We recently found out that our fifth child coming this Summer is going to be another brother. Our daughter is so sad about it and makes it be known, but she amazes me at her insight, her confidence, and willingness to play and take initiative to clean and create her own space.
That word has recently stuck a chord with me while examining the needs of our children and the things we need to work on…initiative. There is so much involved in this word that could help us with the rest of our lives. With a quick online search, there is much to examine regarding our topic of “Believing You Can Really Do It.”
1.the ability to assess and initiate things independently.
2. imagination, and common sense
3. self-motivation, resourcefulness, inventiveness, imagination, ingenuity, originality, creativity, enterprise, drive, ambition, motivation, vision.
4. the power or opportunity to act or take charge before others do.
5. an act or strategy intended to resolve a difficulty or improve a situation; a fresh approach to something.
6. Plan, scheme, strategy, measure, step, action, approach…
Okay, so maybe you don’t feel like you have every single one of these characteristics down just yet, but take just one and use that one to catapult yourself into the next phase of “getting started” on the next thing.
For instance, we each have a touch of initiative in order to get out of bed, to take one step forward, to think ahead. Think of your ‘task’ which lies before you… big, small, in between… think. We all have something we are thinking of.. starting a degree, changing your occupation, a different position, or even as simple as cleaning out a cabinet… there are so many moments where we just. have. to. start.
1. PRAY. God cares about ALL the things…Big, little, in between. He can give direction and even enjoyment out of the most menial tasks that we may just be putting off.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
2. BELIEVE that you CAN do it. With God being your pilot, leading, and guiding your path… you can do it!
3. With that trust in a power far greater than yourself, your strength, your energy, and really… anything else you want to add in there… MAKE A LIST & TAKE A STEP!
4. TAKE ANOTHER. ANOTHER. ONE MORE… keep going, until the project, task, or whatever it is… is done!
Pray that God will bring to mind what it is that you need to do. It may mean, taking a step toward forgiving someone and possibly a initiating (there’s that word again) a fresh start to that relationship again… a friend, a family member.
YOU CAN DO IT!!! KEEP PRAYING AND GOD WILL GIVE YOU MORE THAN WHAT YOU NEED!
How can you show ‘initiative’ today? How has believing you could do something really helped?